This page is under construction

Roll of Honour and Biographies

Officers of the Gloucestershire Regiment Who Died in the Great War

Surnames - M          (25 officers)




MACHON, Cecil Francis Eardley

Lieutenant.   Retired List.   Died of illness in UK on 16th September 1920.   Buried in Bristol (Canford) Cemetery.   Aged 22.



  Cecil Francis Eardley Machon was born at Bishopston, Bristol in 1898.   His parents, George and Kate Machon, resided at 1, York Crescent Road, Clifton, Bristol.

He was appointed to a probationary Special Regular Commission, as an ex-Cadet of the Officer Training Corps, into the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment as a Second Lieutenant on 20th March 1915, which was confirmed by the War Office on 29th May 1916.

He was posted for active service to 9th Battalion Devonshire Regiment on 2nd June 1916.   The Battalion was part of 20th Infantry Brigade, 7th Division.   During the Battle of the Somme, he suffered serious gunshot wounds to the shoulder on 6th September 1916 at "Pilsen Lane", near Ginchy during the attack by the 9th Devons on the Guillemont-Ginchy Road and evacuated to UK on 15th September 1916 where he was admitted to the Empire Hospital, London.

After lengthy treatment there he was returned to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion at Maidstone.   His right arm was paralysed due to the wound to his shoulder and he was classified as fit for Home Service only.  He was eventually posted to the Half-Pay List between 5th March 1918 and 17th February 1919 before being placed on the Retired List on 18th February 1919.

He died at Bristol on 16th March 1920, aged 22, and is buried in Bristol (Canford) Cemetery.






Second Lieutenant.   1/4th Battalion.   Killed in action in Belgium on 9th October 1917.   Commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial.   Aged 30.










MADDER, Robert

Second Lieutenant.   Seconded to 145th Coy Machine Gun Corps.   Killed in action in France on 20th July 1916.   Buried in Bapaume Post Military Cemetery, Albert.   Aged 28.



Robert Madder was born at Tooting in 1888, the only son of Allan George Madder and Emily James Madder who resided at "Westerfield", Trevelyan Road, Tooting Graveney, London and later at Sethella Lodge, North Street, Carshalton.

He was educated at ********** and at the outbreak of war enlisted as a Private soldier into the 5th (City of London) Battalion (London Rifle Brigade) London Regiment.   He remained in the UK and on 5th June 1915 he was appointed to a Territorial Force Commission as a Second Lieutenant in the 5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment and after training was posted to the 3/5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment who were employed on Home Defence duties based at Weston-super-Mare.

******************* and was attached to 145th Brigade Machine Gun Company.

On 16th July 1916 the unit, as part of the 48th Division, were deployed to the Ovillers area to take part in offensive operations during the Battle of The Somme and on the 20th July both the Division, part of X Corps, Reserve Army, was ordered to disrupt Germans positions to the west of Pozieres whilst the main attack by the XV Corps went in to the east of Bazentin-le-Petit towards High Wood.   It was during these covering operations to the west of Pozieres that 2Lt Madder was killed.  His body was taken to the local battlefield cemetery to the west of "Tara Hill", near Albert, known as the Bapaume Post Military Cemetery and he is buried in Plot I, Row F, Grave 10, next to 2Lt R E Knight of the 1/5th Bn Glos Regt.

A photo and a small bio were printed in the Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic printed on 19th August 1916.

WO 374/45515






MAINSTONE, James Francis

Captain.   12th Battalion.   Killed in action in Belgium on 4th October 1917.   Commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial.   Aged 33.










MALLETT, Phillip

Captain, MC*, MiD*.   1st Battalion.   Died of wounds in France on 12th November 1918.   Buried in St Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen.   Aged 33.




Capt Mallett was wounded during a German attack on 31st October 1918 NE of Mazinghein on the Sambre Canal.   He was evacuated to the 8th General Hospital at Rouen where he died of wounds and influenza on 12th November 1918.






MASON, William John

Captain.   8th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 3rd July 1916.   Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.   Aged 27.





Lt Mason leave 16th - 25th November 1915.






MASTER, George Gilbert Onslow

Lieutenant.   1/4th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 25th July 1916.   Buried in Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension.   Aged 23.




Appointed to a Territorial Force Commission as a Second Lieutenant in 4th (City of Bristol) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment TF on 21st August 1914.







MATTHEWS, Edwin Martin

Lieutenant.   1/4th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 8th November 1916.   Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.   Aged 37.










MAY, Leo Cuthbert

Second Lieutenant.   12th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 27th June 1918.   Buried in Aval Wood Military Cemetery, Vieux-Berquin.   Aged 25.





He is commemorated on the Clevedon British School Roll of Honour.







MAYBREY, Arthur James

Second Lieutenant.   10th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 22nd July 1916.   Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.   Aged 21.



Arthur James Maybrey was born at Cheltenham on 30th June 1894.   His parents, John Maybrey and Emma Elizabeth Maybrey, were school teachers and resided at 10, Greville Terrace, Cheltenham.

He was educated at St Luke's School, Cheltenham and attended Cheltenham Grammar School between 1907 and 1912.   On leaving school, he was employed by Lloyd's Bank, working at their Birmingham and Swindon branches.

In September 1914 he enlisted as a private soldier, number 651, into the 19th (Service) Battalion (2nd Public Schools) The Royal Fusiliers, which had been formed at Epsom on 11 September 1914 by the Public Schools and University Men's Force.   On 13th December 1914 he was appointed to a Temporary Regular Commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Gloucestershire Regiment and was posted to the 11th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.   At the time, this Battalion was designated as a Service Battalion part of the 106th Brigade/35th Division of Kitchener's Fourth New Army.   The Battalion was re-roled in April 1915 and became the 11th (Reserve) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment and was based at Belhus Park, near Greys, Essex.   The Battalion was responsible for training new officer and soldier recruits of the Gloucestershire Regiment in the New Army for active service.

2Lt Maybrey was posted to the BEF as a Battle Casualty replacement officer on 5th February 1916 and joined th 10th (Service) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment on 10th February 1916.   At the time, the Battalion was stationed at Allouagne, east of Bethune, part of 1st Infantry Brigade of the1st Division.

The 1st Division was moved to the Somme in early July 1916 joining the III Corps.   The Battalion arrived at Albert on 9th July and moved up to the front line near Fricourt on the 10th.   After tours of duty at the front and in Brigade Reserve at Becourt Wood the Battalion was moved to the front near Shelter Wood, north on Fricourt on 19th July, and engaged in digging a new line in front of Bazentin-le-Petit Wood, which had recently been taken from the Germans.   On 21st July the Battalion moved into the front line due south of Martinpuich in preparation for a Brigade attack on the "Switch Line" in front of Martinpuich, due to take place during the night of 22nd/23rd.   The attack went in at 00:30hrs on the 23rd with the Battalion on the left and the 1st Battalion Cameron Highlanders on the right.   The attack was pressed home with great determination but neither Battalion managed to reach the Switch Line, largely on account of very heavy machine-gun and rifle fire from the main German defences.   "B" Company of the Battalion did manage to seize and hold positions near the German line which was put to good use observing the German line.

During the attack Arthur Maybrey was killed, along with 2Lt E A Naish, 2Lt L N Thornton, 2Lt G E Kirby and 2Lt F Gleave.   2Lt T A Street, 2Lt J MacDonald and 2Lt H Wilcox were wounded.   11 Other Ranks were killed, 58 wounded and 70 were posted missing.  

He was officially posted as "Missing" and this was reported in The Times published on 1st August 1916.   His body was never recovered from the battlefield, or identified, and he is listed on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing, on Pier and Face 5A and 5B.

He is commemorated on the Cheltenham War Memorial, the Cranham War Memorial on the Lychgate of St James' Church, the St Phillips Church, Cheltenham, Roll of Honour and on the Cheltenham Grammar School Roll of Honour.

His brother, Herbert, served as a Captain in the Worcestershire Regiment and survived the war.

WO 339/34597

Photo from Imperial War Museum via Non-Commercial Licence 





McARTHUR, Hugh Dayrell

Second Lieutenant.  9th Battalion.  Accidentally killed in UK on 3rd November 1914.   Commemorated on Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial.   Aged 27.










McBRIDE, John Gordon

Second Lieutenant.   Seconded to 20th Squadron Royal Air Force.   Killed in aerial action over France on 8th October 1918.   Aged 25.










McLEOD, Archibald Alastair

Captain.   1st Battalion.   Killed in action in Belgium   on 2nd November 1914.   Commemorated on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.   Aged 37.










MEADE, Cyril

Second Lieutenant.   2/5th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 5th April 1917.   Buried in Vermand Communal Cemetery.   Aged 20.










MEASDY, Thomas Percy

Second Lieutenant.   2nd Battalion.   Killed in action in Salonika on 30th September 1916.   Buried in Struma Military Cemetery.   Aged 33.



Thomas Measdy was born in the Medway area in 1883.

When war was declared, he was a regular soldier of the Gloucestershire Regiment serving as 5515, Company Quartermaster Sergeant with the 2nd Battalion.   The battalion then were serving at Tientsin in the north of China, and were recalled to the UK arriving in December 1914.   CQMS Measdy and the battalion were sent to France on 19th December 1914 and deployed initially to Aire and was then warned to move to the support trenches at Dickebusch.   On 10th January 1915 the battalion relieved the 2nd Battalion Kings Shropshire Light Infantry for their first tour of duty in the front line at St Eloi.

CQMS Measdy saw service in Flanders around the Ypres Salient and on 12th June 1915 was commissioned in the field as a Second Lieutenant.

The battalion was warned for service at Salonika and arrived there on 12th December 1915.






MERRELL, Arthur Walter

Second Lieutenant.   12th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 8th May 1917.   Commemorated on Arras Memorial.   Aged 23.



  Arthur Walter Merrell was born at Islington, London, in 1894.   His parents, Walter D and Ethel M Merrett, resided at 6, Henleaze Road, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, "Compton" St Oswald's Road, Redland, Bristol and later at "Brynmelyn", Winscombe, Somerset.   He was the eldest of 4 siblings.

At the outbreak of war he enlisted into the Honourable Artillery Company of the Territorial Force, serving on Home Defence duties in the London area.   In the summer of 1916 he was accepted for Officer Cadet training completing the course on 18th December 1916.   On the 19th he was appointed to a Temporary Regular Commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Gloucestershire Regiment and was posted to the 12th (Service) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment (Bristol).

The Battalion had been formed in Bristol in 30th August 1914 by the Citizens Recruiting Committee under the command of Lt Col W E P Burges.   The all Bristol battalion achieved full strength within one month and in April 1915 moved to Chipping Sodbury to commence intensive field training.   Further training took place at Wensleydale, Yorks, where it was assigned to 95th Infantry Brigade of the 32nd Division, and at Codford on Salisbury Plain before the Battalion embarked for France on 21st November 1915.   Soon after arrival in France the 95th Brigade was transferred to under command of the 5th Division.   The Battalion fought with distinction on The Somme in 1916 and it was stationed at Burbure in the Bethune Sector when 2Lt Merrell joined the unit on 29th March 1917 and was posted to "B" Company.

On 18th March 1917 the 5th Division was moved to the Vimy Sector under command of the Canadian Corps and was further transferred to the XIII Corps in early May 1917.   On 5th May the Division moved into the front line between Fresnoy and Oppy.   This was a difficult part of the line to attack and defend as Fresnoy was in a sharp salient.   On 4th May 1917 the 95th Brigade relieved the 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade in trenches east of Fresnoy, 3 miles to the east of Vimy Ridge.   The trenches were taken and held by the Canadians at great cost on 3rd May.   The dispositions of the 95th Brigade were: front line east - 1st Bn East Surrey Regt, front line west - 12th Bn Glos Regt, in support - 1st Bn DCLI and in reserve - 1st Bn Devon Regt.   The East Surrey's were deployed to the right of the Battalion and the 19th Bn Canadian Infantry (4th Canadian Infantry Brigade) to the left.  The relief was difficult as the ground could not be reconnoitred in daylight and the trenches were very badly damaged by overlapping shell-holes connected by ditches.   The Germans continued a heavy shellfire throughout 5th, 6th and 7th May.

At 3.45am on the morning of the 8th May, the Germans commenced a very heavy barrage on all Battalion lines and at Battalion HQ.   There was a thick mist, making observation at 50 yards difficult so "A" Coy, in the front lines with "C" Coy, send up the SOS signal.  The Germans, the 5th Bavarian Division, then attacked in overwhelming numbers.   After intense fighting the front-line Companies managed to check the first assault, but at great cost.  The remnants of "A" and "C" Coy then fell back and re-grouped.   Counter-attacks were made by "B" Coy, "D" Coy, the re-grouped "C" Coy and 1st Bn DCLI.   The original front-line was temporarily recovered, but, as the Germans had gained the surrounding high ground on both flanks, the British were forced to retire.   "D" Coy were later ordered forward to establish a line with the Canadians.   Eventually the Battalion was withdrawn from the line and replaced by 1st Bn Devon Regt at 10pm.   The Battalion had virtually ceased to exist losing 13 officers and 283 other ranks killed, wounded or missing.

2Lt Merrell, along with 2Lt D N Leicester, 2Lt W T Burges, Capt W W Parr and 2Lt J T Ryde (Beds Regt attached) had been killed.   Lt C H Culpin had been seriously wounded and died at a Casualty Clearing Station on 15th May.

Arthur Merrell's body was never recovered from the battlefield or identified and he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing.







MILES, Allan Oswald

Second Lieutenant.   13th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 30th June 1916.   Commemorated on Loos Memorial.   Aged 27.










MILES, Jesse Samuel

Second Lieutenant.   1/6th Battalion.   Died of wounds in Italy on 19th June 1918.   Buried in Montecchio Precalcino Communal Cemetery Extension.   Aged 30.










MILLER, Frederick Charles

Lieutenant.   2/5th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 24th April 1918.   Buried in St Venant-Robecq Road British Cemetery, Robecq.   Aged 35.




He was a member of the Artist Rifles OTC and appointed to a Territorial Force Commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Gloucestershire Regiment on 4th August 1916.   He was initially posted to 6th (Reserve) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment TF, based at Ludgershall, to complete his complete the training for active service.   The unit was incorporated into the 4th (Reserve) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment TF on 1st September 1916.






MILLS, William Henry

Second Lieutenant.   12th Battalion.   Killed in action in Belgium on 4th October 1917.   Commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial.   Aged 26.




Image taken from WO 339/90530





MOORE, Ernest Leonard

Second Lieutenant.   2/4th Battalion.   Died of accidental wounds in France on 4th July 1916.   Buried in Merville Communal Cemetery.   Aged 26.








MOORE, Lionel Watson

Lieutenant.   1/5th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 27th August 1916.   Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.   Aged 22.








MOORE, Thomas Harold

Lieutenant.   1/5th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 27th September 1915.   Buried in Serre Road Cemetery No 1, Serre.   Aged 32.




Appointed to a Territorial Force Commission as a Second Lieutenant in 5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment TF on 2nd September 1914.






MORSE, Percy Lapper

Second Lieutenant.   1/4th Battalion.   Died of wounds in France on 20th November 1917.   Buried in St Sever Cemetery, Rouen.   Aged 31.








MOSS, Edward Hampton

Captain.   10th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 25th September 1915.   Commemorated on Loos Memorial.   Aged 37.



Photo taken in 1914 when Edward Moss was a Private soldier of 19th (Service) Battalion (2nd Public Schools) Royal Fusiliers

Edward Hampton Moss was born in Yokohama, Japan, on 13th August 1884.   His father, Charles Davies Moss, was Chief Clerk and Registrar at the British Consulate, Yokohama.   His mother Mrs C D Moss resided at "Sussex House", Pittville Gates, Cheltenham.

He attended Cheltenham College, and was a member of the College Cadet Force, up to Easter 1895 and before the war he was working as Agent of the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation in Malacca, Malaya.   At the outbreak of the war he was working at the Bank's London Office and enlisted 19th (Service) Battalion (2nd Public Schools) which had been formed at Epsom on 11 September 1914 by the Public Schools and University Men's Force.   On 31st December 1914 he was selected for appointment to a Temporary Regular Commission as a Second Lieutenant with the Gloucestershire Regiment and posted to the 10th (Service) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.

The Battalion had been formed during September 1914, part of the Third Kitchener's New Army (K3), at Horfield Barracks, Bristol, under the command of Lt Col H E Pritchard (formerly CO 82nd Punjabis, Indian Army) from a small cadre of ex Regular NCOs who were responsible for initial training and discipline of the new recruits.   The unit soon gelled and moved to Codford on Salisbury Plain to commence training for war.   In mid-November 1914 the unit moved to Cheltenham where the HQ was based at Lansdown Crescent and the officers and soldiers were billeted around the town.   It was here in Cheltenham, his home town, where he joined the Battalion.

In early May 1915 the Battalion, known as "The Fighting Tenth" returned to Salisbury Plain for further training, under command of the 26th Division, preparing for active service.   On 8th August 1915 the unit departed No 6 Camp, Sutton Veny, for Southampton were it embarked for France, landing at Le Havre during the early morning of 9th August.   The battalion joined the 1st Infantry Brigade, 1st Division and underwent further training for field service and first entered the front line trenches, in front of Bethune, on 19th August 1915.   On 11th September 1915 whilst still a Second Lieutenant, he was promoted to the Temporary rank of Captain in Number 3 Company.  

In late August 1915 the Battalion was ordered to prepare for action in the 1st Division attack to break through the German first, second and third lines, with the battalion's specific objective being the village of Hulloch.   Following an artillery and gas bombardment the attack was delivered at 6.30am on 25th September 1915 with officers and men attacking over 400 yards of No Mans Land and through German wire entanglements.   Immediately in front of the battalion were the remains of a small copse called "Bois Carree" and enemy observation posts and machine guns had been deployed here.   Bois Carree had not been neutralised and as the Battalion crossed No Mans Land, they suffered badly from sweeping enfilade fire.  The battalion's War Diary reports that "The officers fell, as the position of their bodies showed, leading their men, and 16 out of 21 officers were lost".   Captain Moss, as well as Capt J W C Tongue, Capt I R Gibbs, Capt E H Sale, Lt G W Robinson, Lt C A Symons, Lt H A Whiffin, Lt G G W Leary and 2Lt G W Field were killed and 2Lt P V N Neems died of wounds on 9th October 1915 in the UK.

Capt Moss' body was never found or identified and it was not until 4th September 1917 that the War Office concluded that he had died on or after 25th September 1915.   He is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, situated in the Dud Corner Cemetery, to the west of the village of Loos-en-Gohelle.

He is commemorated on the Christ Church, Malacca, Roll of Honour and on a memorial in the Foreigner's Cemetery, Motomachi, Yokohama, Japan.

WO 339/5256

Capt Moss' signature taken from

WO 339/5256


Page last update: 21st August 2014


| Home Page | Abbreviations | Acknowledgements and References | Analysis | Biographies | Cemeteries and Memorials |

| Commonwealth War Graves Commission | Gloucestershire Regiment in the Great War | Honours and Awards | Roll of Honour by Surname |

| Roll of Honour by Year | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1917 | 1918 | 1919 - 1921 |

| Roll of Honour by Unit | 1st Battalion | 2nd Battalion | 3rd (Res) Battalion | 1/4th Battalion | 2/4th Battalion | 1/5th Battalion | 2/5th Battalion |

| 1/6th Battalion | 2/6th Battalion | 7th Battalion | 8th Battalion | 9th Battalion | 10th Battalion | 12th Battalion | 13th Battalion | 14th Battalion | Detached to Other Regiments | Non-Active Lists | Attached Officers |

| Royal Glos Hussars | Links | Site Map |