This page is work-in-progress


Roll of Honour and Biographies

Officers of the Gloucestershire Regiment Who Died in the Great War

Surnames - R 





RATHBONE, Guy Benson

Captain, MiD.   7th Battalion.   Killed in action in Mesopotamia (Iraq) on 21st April 1916.   Commemorated on Basra Memorial.   Aged 32.








RAWLINGS, Charles William Ernest

Second Lieutenant.   1/5th Battalion.   Died of wounds in Belgium on 28th September 1917.   Buried in Mendinghem Military Cemetery, Proven.   Aged 22.








RICHARDS, Dudley Brookhouse

Second Lieutenant.  Attached to 15th Company Machine Gun Corps.  Died of wounds in France on 29th September 1916. Buried in Grove Town Cemetery, Meaulte.   Aged 18.








RICHARDS, Norman Frederick Kynaston

Second Lieutenant.   12th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 24th July 1916.   Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.   Aged 39.



  Norman Frederick Kynaston Richards was born in Chile in 1877 to Thomas and Jane Richards.    Thomas Richards was a mining engineer.

He attended Kelly College, Tavistock, Devon before entering Camborne Mining School 1895.

He was appointed to a Temporary Regular Commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Gloucestershire Regiment in February 1915 and after completion of training at 11th (Reserve) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment, he joined the Battalion in France in late 1915.   At the time the Battalion was part of 95th Infantry Brigade of the 5th Division.

On 30th June 1916 the Battalion was based at Berneville, to the south-west of Arras in III Army Reserve and the 5th Division was warned to prepare to move to the Somme area of operations to join the main battle.   The order to move came on 13th July and the Battalion marched via Warlus to the Wanquetin area.   Here, a fleet of old London buses transported the Battalion to Ivergny.  On 14th July the Battalion marched to Candas and rested overnight before marching on to Puchevillers.   On 16th July the Battalion marched to Bresle and on the 17th to Becordel via Albert.   On the 18th July the Battalion moved to bivouacs east of Mametz and on the 19th July entered support trenches in "Caterpillar Wood Valley", near Montauban.   On 23rd July the Battalion was ordered into the front line at Longue, relieving the 1st Battalion East Surrey Regiment at 8pm.   Here the Battalion suffered heavy shelling which killed 2Lt N F K Richards and 1 soldier on 24th July 1916.

His body was never recovered from the battlefield or identified and he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to The Missing.   His name is also listed on the War Memorial at Kelly College, Tavistock, Devon.   He is also remembered in the Camborne Mining School Memorial Book.







Second Lieutenant.   Seconded to 55th Squadron Royal Flying Corps.   Killed in aerial action in France on 21st August 1917.   Buried in Arras Road Cemetery, Roclincourt.   Aged 23.








RICHMOND, Harold Christopher

Captain, MiD.   1st Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 25th January 1915.   Buried in Guards Cemetery, Windy Corner, Cuinchy.   Aged 34.



Photo from "Illustrated War News" Volume 2

Harold Christopher Richmond was born at Liverpool in March 1880.   He was the only son of Samuel Liptrot and Eliza Richmond who resided at Quarry House, Thornton, Lancs.

He was educated at Balliol College, Oxford, and graduated in 1899.  On 8th February 1899 he was appointed into the Militia as a Second Lieutenant in the 5th Battalion, The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own), before being appointed to a Regular Commission in the Gloucestershire Regiment as a Second Lieutenant, on 4th April 1900, and was promoted to Lieutenant on 27th May 1903.   He saw action in the war in South Africa and was awarded the Queen's Medal with four clasps.   He was appointed as Adjutant on 7th April 1908 being promoted to the rank of Captain on 17th July 1909.   He was selected for training at the Staff College on 1st February 1913 and was appointed as a Staff Captain on 5th August 1914 on the outbreak of war, and was posted as the Assistant Military Landing Officer at HQ No 3 Base of the British Expeditionary Force in France at St Nazaire.

On the 23rd October 1914 whilst the 1st Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment were in Reserve near Langemarck during The First Battle of Ypres, the Commanding Officer requested officer reinforcements including that of Capt Richmond, who was still based at St Nazaire.   He eventually joined the Battalion at Ocre, Near Ypres, on 16th November 1914 and was posted to "D" Company.  At this time the Battalion were in the Bethune Sector in the Givenchy area.

He was granted leave to the UK between 8th and 13th January 1915.   At daybreak on 25th January the German artillery became very active and at 7.30am a rifle rocket soared into the air from the German lines signalling an attack.   On the Battalion's front, "A" and "D" Companies were in the front line opposite Givenchy and as the enemy attacked many were shot down and some ran back to their own line.   However, the Germans managed to penetrate the Battalion's line on the left and it was here at about 7.35am that Captain Richmond, with Capt W K George, both of "D" Company, were killed.   About sixty Germans had also penetrated the village of Givenchy to the rear of the Gloucesters line but the line and village were secured by reinforcements sent by the 1st Bn Black Watch who were in local reserve and by "B" Company of the Gloucesters who moved from Pont Fixe to support "A" and "D" Companies.

Captain Richmond's body was recovered from where he fell and was taken to the Guards Cemetery, Windy Corner, Cuinchy and was buried in what is now Plot 1, Row J, Grave 18 next to the grave of his comrade-in-arms Captain George.   Captain Richmond was posthumously "Mentioned in Despatches" in Field Marshal French's Despatch of 5th April 1915.

His death was reported in The Times of 29th January and 30th January 1915 and he left a widow, Mabel M Richmond, who resided at The Wrakes, Waverley Drive, Camberley.







RICKERBY, John Harold Ellerson

Captain, MC.   2/5th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 22nd March 1918.   Buried in Savy British Cemetery.   Aged 22.



John Harold Ellerson Rickerby was born at Cheltenham on 25th October 1895.   His parents, Major Thomas Ellerson Rickerby TD and Alice Emily Rickerby resided at "Hafod", Chargrove, Shurdington, near Cheltenham.   Major Rickerby was a solicitor of Rickerby & Co, 2, Ormond Place and later at 16, Royal Crescent, Cheltenham and Area Recruiting Officer for Cheltenham.

John Rickerby attended Cheltenham College between 1906 and 1914 and Pembroke College, Cambridge.   At the outbreak of war he was appointed to a Territorial Force Commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Gloucestershire Regiment on 26th September 1914 in the 5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment (TF) and joined the 2/5th Battalion when it was formed from second line troops of 5th Battalion in September 1914.   The unit later became part of 184th Infantry Brigade, 61st (2nd South Midland) Division and trained at Gloucester, Northampton, Chelmsford and Salisbury Plain.  During this time, on 3rd April 1915, he was promoted to the Temporary rank of Lieutenant and to the rank of Temporary Captain on 23rd May 1916.   He was with the Battalion when it embarked for France on 24th May 1916 and landed at Le Havre the following morning.   The Division concentrated in the Laventie area and the 2/5th Battalion were billeted at Le Sart then after instruction at Riez Bailleul, first took over trenches in the front line in the Fauquissart-Laventie Sector on 15th June 1916.   Capt Rickerby was appointed Officer Commanding "A" Company on 21st June 1916 after Captain E W Wales, detached from the Lincs Regt, was wounded in a trench raid on 20th June 1916.

After the failure of the 61st Division/5th Australian Division attack at Fromelles on 19th July 1916 the battalion was moved to the "Moated Grange" area of the Aubers Sector opposite Mauquissart.   On The night of 27th/28th July 1916 in the "A" Company area, called the Duck's Bill Crater, the Germans opened a heavy bombardment in an effort to prevent support from reaching the crater before they occupied it and made good the position.   Captain Rickerby, with admirable decision and foresight, moved most of his men from the front line along the sap and in to the crater, in order to avoid casualties from shell fire.   When the Germans arrived to take the crater they were repulsed suffering many casualties.   He was awarded the Military Cross for his actions which was promulgated in the Supplement to the London Gazette, Issue 29760 dated 22nd September 1916.   The citation read:  2Lt Lt (temp Capt) John Harold Ellerson Rickerby, Glouc R.   For conspicuous gallantry.   He defended his post with the greatest determination against two strong attacks by the enemy, preceded by heavy bombardment.   When his signallers had all become casualties, he went himself under fire to the signal dugout to ask for reinforcements.   On his return he beat off another attack by machine-gun fire, and then counter-attacked with the bayonet".

On 17th March 1917 he was promoted to the substantive rank of Captain and served with the battalion whilst they were stationed in the St Quentin and Arras Sectors.   During this time, on 26th May 1917, he was awarded the Silver Medal For Valour (Italy) by the Italian Government.  

On the commencement of the German Spring Offensive on 21st March 1918 the battalion was stationed in the Battle Zone at Holnon Wood, to the west of St Quentin and during that day, and early on 22nd March were pushed back to uncompleted trenches at Beauvois.   At about 6pm large numbers of Germans were seen advancing from Holnon Wood and moving in attack formation towards Beauvois and, after a short sharp bombardment, assaulted the battalion's positions.   It was during this bombardment that Capt Rickerby was hit by a shell and died of his wounds.   As his body was not found he was reported wounded and missing and in The Times of 12th July 1918 his father sought from friends of Prisoners of War any information regarding his son.   His body was subsequently found as he is buried in Savy British Cemetery, Plot I, Row U, Grave 15.   This cemetery was formed in 1919 when graves in the area were concentrated here and he may well have been initially buried in the St Quentin.-Roupy Road German Cemetery, at L'Epine-de-Dallon, which contained the graves of 232 British soldiers who fell in March 1918.   His original battlefield grave marker is located in Cheltenham Cemetery.

The book "The Story Of The 2/5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment 1914 - 1918", by A F Barnes, MC, describes that Capt Rickerby's death was a disaster to the Battalion and a great personal loss to his many friends.   He had served with the Battalion from its infancy, had taken a distinguished part in its most notable achievements and had added lustre to its fame.   He was a type to whom clean life and hard living are part of a deep religion.  To these attributes he added a capacity for detail and an instinct for soldiering that made him a leader among others.   Possessing a stern sense of duty and full of joy of living, yet completely regardless of death, he was the ideal Company Commander.

His death was officially reported by his father in The Times published on 12th May 1919.   He is commemorated on the Cheltenham War Memorial, the St James' Church, Cheltenham, Roll of Honour, the Cheltenham College Roll of Honour and the St Paul's Church, Shurdington, Roll of Honour.

WO 374/57439






RIDGWAY, Richard Harry James Willis

Lieutenant.   10th Battalion, attached to 1st Trench Mortar Battery.   Killed in action in France on 6th December 1916.   Buried in Warlencourt British Cemetery.   Aged 19.








RIPPERGER, Harold Theodore Alvin

Lieutenant, MC.   Attached to 1/7th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers.   Killed in action in France on 23rd October 1918.   Buried in Belle Vue British Cemetery, Briastre.   Aged 21.








RISING, Robert Edward

Major, DSO, MiD.   1st Battalion.   Died of wounds in Belgium on 7th November 1914.   Buried in Zillebeke Churchyard.   Aged 43.







ROBERTS, Gerard Chipchase

Lieutenant Colonel, MiD.   Commanding Officer 14th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 8th June 1916.   Buried in Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue.   Aged 42.



Gerard Chipchase Roberts was born at Sunderland on 19th January 1874.   His parents, Captain Henry William Roberts and Annie Chipchase Roberts, resided at Hollingside, Durham

He was educated at Charterhouse School, Godalming, Surrey.

He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant into the 4th (Volunteer) Battalion Durham Light Infantry on 7th April 1897.   He was promoted to the rank of Captain on 6th July 1901, but on 19th December 1903 resigned his commission to assist in the family carpet business.

At the outbreak of war he immediately volunteered for active service and was appointed to a Special Regular Commission as a Captain in the County Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry and then promoted to temporary Major on 24th September 1914 .   On 31st August 1915 he was transferred to the Gloucestershire Regiment, as a Lieutenant Colonel, and selected for duty as the Commanding Officer of the newly formed 14th (West of England) Battalion which had formed up in Bristol in April and May 1915, organised by the Citizens Recruiting Committee, from a cadre of senior NCOs selected from the 12th Battalion.   It was a "Bantam" battalion, set up to enlist volunteers who had previously been turned down for military service on account of being below the required minimum height or weight.   The majority of soldiers were recruited from Bristol and Birmingham, whilst the officers were taken from the Bristol area.

In June 1915 the battalion left Bristol for Masham, Yorks, to commence field training and in August 1915 it was moved to Chiseldon were it joined the 105th Infantry Brigade, part of 35th (Bantam) Division.   After intensive training at Chiseldon the battalion moved to Tidworth at Christmas 1915 and at the end of January 1916 the battalion left for France , landing at Le Havre on 31st January, and by 6th February it was complete in its Divisional concentration area to the east of St Omer, departing to take over trenches east of Festubert in the first week of March 1916.  The battalion saw its first major action during the night of 2nd June 1916 when a German bombing party threw bombs into the battalion's front line trench in the Neuve Chapelle sector.  

Six days later on the 8th June 1916 the battalion made a major raid on opposing German front line trenches at the "Pope's Nose" (map ref 36.SW3.S.11a) in collaboration with local artillery, trench-mortar and machine gun units.   The raid started at 9pm with an artillery barrage on the enemy line.   The Germans were quick to react and in the first retaliatory artillery fire, Lt Col Roberts was killed.   His Adjutant, Captain F H Toop wrote, " .......... the poor old man was killed by about the first shell the Bosch sent in retaliation.   He was not mutilated at all, just a small piece of shrapnel through the heart.   He was dead instantly and did not suffer any pain.   I carried him back to our line and then went out with the raiders".   Despite the fact that Lt Col Roberts and also Captain Butt had been killed, the raid was considered a success with about 30 Germans killed and a number of machine-guns destroyed and captured.   Lt Col Roberts was posthumously awarded a "Mentioned in Despatches" in General Haig's Despatch of 13th November 1916.

The Colonel's body was taken to the Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery at La Gorgue, near Estaires.   He was buried in Plot 1, Row B, Grave 12, close to the grave of Captain Butt.

His death was notified in The Times published on Friday 16th June 1916.   His brother, Major Frederick John Roberts, 6th Bn R W Surrey Regt, died of wounds on 17th October 1915 at a Casualty Clearing Station at Chocques, near Bethune.   His death was also reported in The Gloucester Journal published on 17th June 1916.

He left a widow, Winifred Milbanke Roberts of Tudhoe House, Tudhoe, Co Durham.   Their son, Capt Gerard Brian Roberts, 2nd Bn DLI, was killed in action near Dunkirk on 27th May 1940.

Lt Col Roberts and his son are remembered on a commemorative plaque in St James's Church, Hamsterley, near Bishop Auckland.   Lt Col Roberts and his brother, Frederick, are commemorated on the War Memorial in St Oswald's Churchyard, Durham.

(WO 339/13349)





ROBERTSON, Eustace James

Captain.   7th Battalion.   Died of wounds in Mesopotamia (Iraq) on 2nd March 1917.   Buried in Amara War Cemetery.   Aged 26.








ROBINSON, Eric Arthur

Captain.   12th Battalion.   Died of wounds in France on 10th September 1916.   Buried in Corbie Communal Cemetery extension.   Aged 32.








ROBINSON, Geoffrey Wathen

Lieutenant.   10th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 25th September 1915.   Believed to be buried in St Mary’s ADS Cemetery, Haisnes.   Aged 20.








ROGERS, Alfred Morris

Second Lieutenant.  Attached to 2nd Battalion Devonshire Regiment.  Killed in action in France on 18th July 1916.  Buried in Cambrin Churchyard Extension.  Aged 23.








ROGERS, Godfrey Marcus

Second Lieutenant, MiD.   12th Battalion.   Died of wounds in France on 28th April 1918.   Buried in Aire Communal Cemetery.   Aged 19.








ROSS, Gwilliam Emanuel Henry

Second Lieutenant.   8th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 3rd July 1916.   Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.   Aged 25.









Second Lieutenant.  Seconded to 62nd Squadron Royal Air Force.  Killed in aerial action in France on 16th June 1918.  Buried in Roye New British Cemetery.  Aged 19.








RUCK, John Egerton

Major.   7th Battalion.   Killed in action in Gallipoli on 8th August 1915.   Commemorated on Helles Memorial.   Aged 41.



  John Egerton Ruck was born at Epsom in 1874.   His parents, Egerton Winder Ruck and Margaret Bradshaw Ruck, were married in 1873.   Margaret died in 1876, aged 23, and Egerton later resided at Mayfield House, Banstead Road, Cheam.

He was educated at ***************** and then attended the Royal Military College, Sandhurst graduating on 21st October 1893.   He was appointed to a Regular Commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Gloucestershire Regiment

He was posted to the 7th (Service) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment who in August and September 1914 were forming up in Horfield Barracks, Bristol as part of the 39th Infantry Brigade, 13th (Western) Division, of the First New Army in "Kitchener's Army".   The fully manned battalion was posted to Tidworth in January 1915 to commence intensive field training which continued at Basingstoke and then Blackdown Camp, Aldershot area, in February 1915.   In early June the Division was warned for service in Gallipoli and by the middle of that month the battalion had set sail for Lemnos.   On 17th July the Division relieved the 29th Division on the Helles front on the Gallipoli peninsular and the following day moved into the line.

The plan was for the 13th Division and another two fresh divisions to overcome the deadlock on the Helles front by attacking the Sari Bair feature, which dominated the ANZAC positions, and by opening another front by landing at Suvla Bay.   For that attack at Sari Bair, the 13th Division reinforced the ANZAC Corps and on 5th August 1915 the battalion landed at Sulva Bay and moved some way inland.   On 7th August the battalion, with New Zealand units assaulted the Chunuk Bair but the attack faltered






RUDMAN, Harold Ewart

Captain.   2/6th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 19th July 1916.   Commemorated on Loos Memorial.   Aged 32.








RUSSELL, Harley Raymond

Lieutenant.   10th Battalion.   Killed in action in France on 13th October 1915.   Commemorated on Loos Memorial.   Aged 24.



  Harley Raymond Russell was born at Bristol in 1891.   His parents Cecil Henry St Leger Russell and Blanche Wellsted Russell, resided at 40, Clifton Park Road, Clifton, Bristol and later at 2, Norland Road, Clifton, Bristol.   His father was a Master at Clifton College.

He was posted to 10th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment on 1st October 1915 joining the unit whilst it was stationed at Noeux-les-Mines in the Loos Sector.

at 2pm on 13th October 1915 the 1st Division again attacked the German line being ordered to capture the German trenches along the Lens road from the junction of the Loos-Hulluch and the Lens-La Bassee roads northwards to Hulluch, a distance of about 1400 yards.   This task was allotted to 1st Infantry Brigade, with 2nd Infantry Brigade in support, which advanced in line with five battalions over 300 yards of open ground screened by smoke.   At first the attacking battalions (10th Bn Glos Regt, 1st Bn Black Watch, 1st Bn Cameron Highlanders, 8th Bn R Berks Regt and 1/14th Bn London Regt) encountered little opposition however as they approached the German wire and the smoke cleared the leading elements came under heavy and sustained machine gun and rifle fire both from the front and the flanks.   To add to the attacking troops difficulties, the German wire had not been cut by the preparatory artillery bombardment and despite gallant attempts to get into the German trenches the attack lost momentum and was called off.   Lt Russell and Lt F A Carnegy were killed in these actions and Lt L W Hastie and 2Lt B Temple were wounded as well as around 150 other ranks reported killed, wounded or missing.

Harley Russell's body was never recovered from the battlefield, or identified, and he is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, Panel 60 to 64.

He was reported "Missing, Believed Killed" in The Times published on 29th October 1915.

WO 339/17345






RYDER, Reginald Victor

Second Lieutenant. Seconded to 4th Squadron Royal Flying Corps.  Died of wounds in Belgium on 28th June 1917.  Buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.  Aged 20.





Page last updated: 21st August 2014


| Home Page | Abbreviations | Acknowledgements and References | Analysis | Biographies | Cemeteries and Memorials |

| Commonwealth War Graves Commission | Gloucestershire Regiment in the Great War | Honours and Awards | Roll of Honour by Surname |

| Roll of Honour by Year | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1917 | 1918 | 1919 - 1921 |

| Roll of Honour by Unit | 1st Battalion | 2nd Battalion | 3rd (Res) Battalion | 1/4th Battalion | 2/4th Battalion | 1/5th Battalion | 2/5th Battalion |

| 1/6th Battalion | 2/6th Battalion | 7th Battalion | 8th Battalion | 9th Battalion | 10th Battalion | 12th Battalion | 13th Battalion | 14th Battalion | Detached to Other Regiments | Non-Active Lists | Attached Officers |

| Royal Glos Hussars | Links | Site Map